Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:40:07 -0700

My original question to the List:

>Last week, ultrasound found gall bladder full of stones and swollen. The GI who
>diagnosed celiac six weeks ago by biopsy and serology recommends that the
>GB be removed.  Cannot find any post cholecystectomy data for a celiac.  If
>anyone has had a similar experience I would be very grateful to hear from you.

>I read that some normal people experience severe diarrhea and other
>symptoms following GB removal.

Thank you all for your inputs concerning post gall bladder surgery data
for a celiac.  Responses were very supportive and very helpful.  No one
predicted any catastrophic after affects and no one who had already had
the surgery wished for their gall bladder back (small joke).

The surgery was performed laproscopically two weeks ago.   I am GF and
we have not changed our relatively fat-free diet.  There have been no
adverse symptoms such as diarrhea or intestinal distress that leads me
to believe that my gall bladder has not been functioning for quite some
time.  I am still having some distress from four small incisions.  I
feel much better physically and no longer having the indigestion and
pain in my right upper side that I was having.

There are some facts about the surgery that may be of help for anyone
considering the surgery.  I went into surgery at 12:30 PM and went home
at 5:00 PM even before receiving the remaining 1/2 bag of IV solution.
Big mistake.  I came out from under the anesthesia too soon (according
to my PC doctor) and in a lot of pain that required a pain shot directly
into the incision.  Then, I was given a percocet in the hospital  and
took  a second percocet two hours later at home.  Percocet will cause
the bladder to constrict making urination impossible.  By 2:30 AM, I was
back in the hospital ER.  After explaining five (5) times to the
receptionist, nurses, and doctor why I was in the ER, I was told that I
was dehydrated, given a complete blood workup, started an IV, and a cath
was inserted.  What a relief!   After the IV had run in, they gave me a
walking cath. that straps to the leg and sent me home again.  It was the
next day at noon before my internist removed the cath.  Time frame:  Wed
afternoon (surgery), Thur 2:30 AM (ER), Fri  noon (PC doctor) cath
removed.

The walking cath was so uncomfortable (it had to be emptied every hour)
that I called the surgeon on Friday morning to see if he would renew the
percocet prescription should I need them over the weekend.  The plan was
to have the cath removed in his office on Monday.  He said "absolutely
not...he never renewed prescriptions...and if the cath was too
uncomfortable, cut it in half with the scissors and remove it
yourself."  I am 60 years old and not comfortable removing caths.  I
called the ER and they were appalled that he would suggest that I remove
it myself.  The ER suggested the PC doctor who was gracious enough to
remove it Friday at noon and started me on antibiotics for a developing
bladder infection.

A call to the surgeons office Friday afternoon to cancel the Monday
appointment and no rescheduling resulting in an apology from the surgeon
that he was only joking with me and was sorry that I had taken it the
wrong way.  It was not accepted..

The technique for laproscopic gall bladder removal is fine but it should
not be done as an "outpatient". Bodily functions need to stabilize and
there is the danger of surgical complications such as internal
bleeding.  I found out later that the affects of percocet on the bladder
is a medical fact and that I should not have left the hospital under the
instructions to start percocet at home.   This assures bladder
constriction.  To stay overnight prior arrangements have to be made with
the hospital.  Once the surgeon does his thing and is off to the golf
course, you are on your own.  Further, our GI doctor told us that
Medicare will only pay for laproscopic cholecystectomy unless there are
medical complications.

There were 24 responses to my question. I will try to summarize as
briefly as possible:

--The surgeon warned me about possible constipation.  However, my GI
doctor whom I   trust emphatically and he is the one who diagnosed
celiac, warned that the stones would probably come back if they were
reduced by ultrasonic techniques.  Ultrasonic was not an option in my
case.
--Diarrhea may be a problem.
--A special thanks to those who suggested that a "good prayer" always
helps.
--A large glass of water helps if suffering a bit of indigestion.
--It was implied that maybe a GF diet would eventually dissolve the
stones.
--There were suggestions for seeking multiple opinions for the surgery
or perhaps a change in diet as an alternative.
--There appears to be a  definite likelihood for celiacs to develop gall
stones according to Ron Hoggan's article (thank you Ron for responding)
at:   http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/hoggan/gall.txt
--No adverse affects but to be on the safe side, avoid fatty foods
whenever possible.
--There is a danger of internal bleeding with signs described as: low
blood pressure, fast heart rate, spike in fever, increased or
intractable pain, and a blood test confirming loss of blood.
--The liver and ducts tend to build a new GB out of stretched ducts.
--After surgery, circulation improved, bladder control returned, and
there were indications of increased bile throughflow.
--Don't worry about weight gain.  It is typical of newly diagnosed
celiacs because of the diet change but will stabilize and become
controllable.

Thanks again folks.  I am sure that many of you know how much it helps
to hear and share experiences.  I intend to thank each respondent
personally.

Pat Lawson, Tempe, Arizona