From:
Wendy Wark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:55:49 EDT

Hi List:
Below are 7 responses to my question "Can celiacs masquerade under a diagnosis
of either lupus (degeneration of connective tissues) or diverticulitis
(inflammation of intestinal lining).  I received a lengthy, informative email
from Don Wiss & will forward that particular message to anyone requesting it
(too long to post).  Thanks all for the info!  Wendy, Exton, PA
1-------------------------
Lupus and DH are sister genes!
But remember that CD is only a cousin of both
of these so if you do the blood tests for
CD only, you might miss the diagnosis.
I believe it is an autoimmune disease associated
with IGA deficiency.
Here is the number for the Immune Deficiency Foundation
1(800)296-4433
2----------------------------
I don't know for a fact, but it seems clear that people are often
misdiagnosed. For example, perhaps the diverticulitis is accurate, but the
underlying cause is celiac. Also, lupus is an autoimmune disorder, as I
understand it, so there is some relationship to celiac, even if it's only the
mechanism of onset.
3-----------------------------------
All I can really tell you is that they thought that I had lupus at one point,
years ago, and it turned out to be cd.  Suggest to them that the doc do an IgA
blood test and see what happens.  If it shows with a positive ratio, then
there is no doubt about the cd, and it may save them from the biopsy.
4------------------
In the beginning of my diagnosis, lupus had been discussed.
Whether there is a connection to CD, I don't know.  Whether the doctor
just made a big mistake, I don't know either...My mother has had digestive
problems for years, and after my final diagnosis via biopsies of CD,
have wondered whether she is also or not.  Her doctors wouldn't test her
for CD and have said she has diverticulitis...hoping to get more information
on CD so as to persuade my mom's doctors to test her for CD.
5-------------------------
I believe that Celiac can be misdiagnosed for any existing
problem. Since this is a malnutrition problem, anything can be affected.
I am only 25 and It was suggested that lupus can be a factor, I also
went for rheumatoid blood work and that came back high,
I have been for an echo gram because of odd pains in my heart, I also am
seeing several other doctors for problem than are going on.
To me celiac has a domino affect, you don't know what row goes next .
6----------------------
...Saw your post about CD masquerading as
other diseases such as lupus.  Well, all the diseases you mentioned;
lupus, celiac disease and diverticulitis, are all autoimmune diseases
and these tend to congregate in one's body with time.  I have four
autoimmune diseases myself.  Lupus, celiac disease, rheumatoid
arthritis and autoimmune thyroiditis.  Some of us are just lucky. :\
Once a person has one autoimmune disease, others seem to follow.  Not in
everyone, of course, but a big majority of the people I know with lupus
have at least one other autoimmune disease.
7--------------------------------
I would say a definite yes. One of the differences with systemic
lupus erathymus (SLE) is that the doctors do not know what triggers
the immune response, whereas in CD the trigger is of course the
gliadin found in wheat, rye, barley and oats. The other difference is
the autoimmune response is primarily in the intestines for a celiac.
However the similarity between the two diseases is that they both
create an increased white blood count in the blood system. SLE is
often associated rheumatoid arthritis because the leukocytes (a type of
white blood) will deposit in the joints making the joints stiff
... this should be typical for any chronic high blood count, including
allergies, which is not an autoimmune disease.

Osteoporosis would also be a typical and common symptom/complication
since this is where the white blood cells are made. Any chronic
leukocytia (sp? abnormally high white blood count) will deplete the
bone tissue.

SLE primarily attacks the connective tissue of the blood
vessels. However, the permeability of all organs increases so that the
leukocytes can get to an infection. This can manifest itself in kidney or
nephropathic damage, intestinal or gastroenteropathic damage, lung,
etc.

The above also happens in celiac disease. Thirty percent of those
patience with celiac also get IgA nephropathy. As a celiac, you
already know about osteoporosis, and the plethora of other maladys.

The golden diagnosis for celiac disease is the flatten villi AND
recover on a GF diet. If your friend with diverticulitis had a
EGDscopy the flatten villa would probably of shown up. She of course
could simply try a gf diet to see if conditions improve. I know a
women diagnosed with SLE who found the GF diet helpful.
The IgG and IgA blood tests I think look for the reaction to gliadin
and may also identify celiac disease. It is certain that someone with
SLE has active IgA.

I wanted to respond because I have noticed a lot well meaning
individuals who want to assist there friends recover from disease are
sometimes too quick to see "celiac symptoms" and assume celiac
disease. Where in reality the symptoms are indicative of an autoimmune
response which may be celiac disease as well as others.