Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:15:59 -0500
From:
Sally Lopez <[log in to unmask]>

I've been trying to develop a recipe for muffins or rolls or something
"bread-like" for breakfast, dinner or snacks that is easy, takes very
little time, and is forgiving (don't have to be exact to get great
results).  Here's my recipe which (IMHO) is better than the "real"
thing!

I am providing detailed instructions, however, this recipe is easy,
easy, easy and takes less than 5 minutes to make! Two alternatives are
provided (one is more like a corn muffin and one is more more like a
dinner muffin.)

Sally's Forgiving Quick Muffins
(Recipe will be for 1/2 dozen -- doubles easily!)

Preheat the oven to about 400-425 (my oven thermostat is whacky!)

Combine the following in a bowl:
1/2 cup milk (I use 2%)
1 beaten egg
1 1/2 tbs sugar (less or more depending on what you like)
1/2 tsp salt (can leave out if wish)

Put in a microwavable coffee cup:
2 tbs shortening (I use regular old tub margarine-Country Crock)
Put coffee cup in microwave.
Cover with a paper towel.
Put in microwave for just a few seconds at a time until melted.
Dont' microwave for 1-2 minutes or it will spatter all over your
microwave making a big mess!
When it has melted, let it cool a little before adding or the hot fat
will fry the egg!)

Mix in separate bowl:  (Here's the fun part!)
The goal is to get a total of 1 cup of "flour."
The recipe uses three flours: rice (white or brown), sweet rice, *corn
flour.
The rice flours are available at Asian markets.  The corn flour is
available at Indian/Middle Eastern markets (this is corn flour, not corn
meal, and it is essential for the muffins.)

Alternative #1 -- To make a "corn" muffin:
Put 1-2 tbs of sweet rice flour in a one-cup measuring cup.  Fill up the
remainder of the measuring cup with rice flour and corn flour (but a
little heavy on the corn flour (perhaps 60% corn, 40% rice).  Remember
the goal is to get 1 cup of "flour".  To this, add 1/4 cup grated cheese
or berries or whatever you like in your corn muffins. Then go to the
last step (adding the baking powder) below.

Alternative #2 -- To make more of a "dinner roll":
Put 1/2 tbs of sweet rice flour in a one-cup measuring cup.  Fill up the
remainder of the measuring cup with rice flour and corn flour (but a
little heavy on the rice flour (perhaps 60% rice, 40% corn).  Remember
the goal is to get 1 cup of "flour".  You can experiment with the three
flours.  The corn flour is essential.  I have not had the same success
when I've substituted tapioca, potato starch, etc.  Then go to theh last
step (adding the baking powder) below:

Mix sugar, salt, egg, milk mixture together with the flour
Add the cooled shortening or margarine.
Add the one cup of "flour" and stir just enough to moisten the
ingrediants (should still be lumpy).

Spray your muffin tin with Pam.  Check to see that you oven has heated
up.  If so, quickly add 1 1/2 tsp baking power.  Mix a few strokes and
*quickly* spoon into muffin tin.  In other words don't add the baking
powder until you are sure that you are going to make the muffins.  If I
premake the mix, I add the baking powder just before I plan to bake the
muffins!

Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until brown on top!  The oven
temperature is pretty forgiving, too.  Adjust the time dedpending on the
heat of your oven.  When the top is golden brown, you'll know they are
done!

Other suggestions:

Same recipe makes great pancakes add a little more milk (haven't tried
waffles yet!)

To make a breakfast muffin, add more sugar, cinnamon and nuts.  Frost
with a mix of powdered sugar, few drops of milk, and a tsp of heated
margarine! Makes wonderful cinnamon muffins.

To make a bun or sandwich bread use English muffin rings or "muffin top"
pan.

Add a little rice bran (health food store) for a nutty high fiber
muffin.

Perhaps people who have other suggestions could let me know and I will
save and post soon.

Please let me know about other sources of corn flour (not corn meal) and
I will also post (I am very close to an Indian market and they have
wonderful finely-ground corn flour).

One friends has included jalapeno peppers and cheese in the corn muffin
recipe for a southwestern muffin.

Fruits, raisens, nuts, etc., can be added as you like.  Decrease the
amount of milk accordingly if the fruit is very juicy.

I haven't had a bad batch yet.  This is easy, quick, and can probably be
done by kids (under supervision).  You can probably have fresh muffins
most every day.  Good luck and enjoy.