From:
Will Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 05:44:55 -0400
Hello Susan!

It sounds like you are going on a new adventure!
I started about 4 years ago on the same path that you are walking with the
same technical base (A+ certification, etc.). Like you, I love to read and
learn. Here are the extras I have done (they may well not apply to your
situation, but...):

1. Keep up with computer trends - keep reading the magazines and the like.
My clients very often ask me about the new stuff (The celeron chip for
example: is it a good deal? Explain why or why not)

2. I decided early on not to be a "front man" for any product, software or
hardware (though Microsoft keeps asking me). At the beginning of any
business relationship, I stress that I have no financial ties to anyone but
the customer. This makes my advice untainted.

3. I will TRY and fix any computer related product if I feel I know what I
am doing. However, if it is a product that loses its warranty when I open it
up, I always inform the client that it's his/her choice. I generally attempt
to convince them to get an authorized place to fix it.

4. The hardest part of my consulting business is sales. You must sell
yourself. You might be spending as much time getting work as you do
performing work. However you decide to advertise, do a lot of it. I am not a
salesperson and my business is never enough because of that alone....nearly
all my business comes from word of mouth, which is not enough.

Good luck in your venture!

best

Will Stephenson

I have a question for all technicians out there, or consultants, or
basically anyone who works in, or has experience in, the computer business.

I call myself a "consultant."
I realize this is a VERY broad question, but here it is: do you have any
general advice for a person like me?

Susan Sutherland

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**