From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 11:21:12 -0400
At 07:44 AM 5/5/1998  Russ Poffenberger  wrote:

>ECC RAM has enough extra bits to not only be able to detect single bit
errors,
>but also correct them. Double bit errors are detected (but not corrected).
>
>SDRAM is a different type of interface for the clock and timing of the
RAM. It
>is unrelated to parity or correction. Conceivably, SDRAM can come in various
>flavors of parity or ECC.
>
>I have never seen ECC in 72 pin SIMM's, there aren't enough pins for the
extra
>signal. Instead, you see them more commonly in 168pin DIMM's, however to use
>them, your system must be capable of using ECC memory.

Russ:

So the question becomes, is ECC memory worth the extra
cost (say 50% more expensive) for the typical PC user,
considering the fact most people have been using non-parity
EDO SIMMs in their Pentiums for years?

What about any performance hit?

I have no experience with ECC memory, though I can see
the advantage in critical applications.  TIA.

Regards,

John Chin