Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 17:26:29 -0700
Dear Patti and List,

Thank you for the comments about bison. I have had very good luck with the
meat. My son shows no reaction to it, while he reacts to beef.

The problem is the bison tallow. I have been trying to use it for tallow/fat
for pemmican.  It is a very chalky fat and sticks to the roof of  your mouth
even more than peanut butter.  What to do? I called buffalo ranchers and
none knew what to do. After all, all their customers want "zero" fat, so the
last thing they are concerned about is the fat!

I called the County Extension office in South Dakota, even they had no idea
and simply referred me to a rancher.

He was nice and he raises a lot of buffalo but again all for low/no fat
consumers. HIs bison had less than 1 percent of fat in it. He was proud of that!

So, does anyone have any ideas why bison fat tastes so different and has
such a different texture, compared to beef tallow. How did the Native
Americans render it? Does anyone know?

I would simply like to mix it with my pemmican to use as a fat.

Thanks, guys and gals!

Mary

ps Susan, the bison is grass fed only. Maybe you should try it, and others
who have gluten sensitivity.