VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:58:50 -0600
Here's something not seen too often on this list:  a posting on rural
America.  Below is a paper from CSUN on a success story on providing
assistive technology in a rural area.

kelly

    Providing Assistive Technology in a Rural Setting: Steps to Success

                   Sue Murn Assistive Technology Teacher
                       ONC BOCES-Innovative Programs
                                 Cyr Center
                             Stamford, NY 12167
                           Email: [log in to unmask]

                               David Mitchell
                       Director, Innovative Programs
                                 ONC BOCES
                                 Cyr Center
                             Stamford, NY 12167
                     Email: [log in to unmask]

   Otsego-Northern Catskill BOCES, or Board of Cooperative Educational
   Services, is part of a co-op that provides shared services in public
   schools throughout New York State. Located about 2 hours southeast of
   Syracuse, and three hours north of Manhattan, ONC BOCES serves 19
   school districts with a total population of approximately 12,000
   students with a geographical area of 1500 square miles. Of the 12,000
   students, over 1500 are students with disabilities which represents
   13% of the total population.

   Our BOCES region includes most of Otsego County, northern Delaware
   County, southern Schoharie County and western Greene County in New
   York State, an area larger than Rhode Island. Predominantly rural,
   with many pockets of poverty, 17 of the 19 schools are K-12 with total
   populations of approximately 500 students per district. All of our
   schools face financial constraints and have to make difficult
   decisions in program offerings to their students. Although financial
   resources are limited, we are still able to convince schools of the
   importance of Assistive Technology

Evolution

   Prior to our Assistive Technology (AT) services, any student for whom
   AT was a consideration had to make the trip to Utica, NY where our
   state's Alliance for Technology Access center, Techspress was located.
   For some students, that trip was 3 hours each way. It also involved
   sending teachers and therapists so coverage had to be provided for
   these people while they participated in the technology consultation.
   In some cases, the district would send everyone on a school bus. This
   took the student and the team out of their familiar environment and
   put them into a strange setting at great cost.

   The Assistive Technology program began in 1993 when a small grant was
   written by our Special Education Training and Resource Center
   Director. This grant provided for a group of four volunteers to
   receive training at our state Alliance for Technology Access Center
   for a week. The team then had $10,000 to spend to begin developing a
   library of hardware and software to be used in evaluation of
   technology tools for learning by students and their educational teams.

   New administration was very supportive of the program beginnings and
   worked with the SETRC Director to offer to the component school
   districts free evaluations for the remainder of the school year by the
   recently trained team members. A referral process was developed and
   the team handled 25 evaluations in the first three months. Team
   members were still volunteers as there was no formal program at this
   time.

   Evaluations resulted in reports; recommendations included equipment,
   setup, training, and direct support for students over a period of
   time. School districts were billed for setup, training and student
   support. Consultants were able to guide districts in finding funding,
   when possible.

   Fees for service and writing grants at the local and state level
   enabled the program to continue to grow. A full time Assistive
   Technology Teacher was hired in January of 1996. This teacher was
   responsible for doing all evaluations, setup, training, and student
   support as well as maintaining and updating equipment. 10 students
   from 5 districts made up the original caseload; there are presently 40
   students receiving direct services, 25 who are seen on an "as-needed"
   basis only, and 10 evaluations pending.

   A half-time Assistive Technology teacher was hired in September of
   1997. Another full time person will be added in September of 1999 as
   we now service all of the districts, cross-contract with the
   neighboring BOCES and with an adult agency as well. Services include:

     * evaluation of technology tools with individuals and their
       educational teams
     * setup of equipment
     * training
     * direct and indirect service to individuals
     * workshops
     * teacher training

   Setting up a local program enabled us to reach students in their own
   environments and allowed us to take more time in recommending
   appropriate tools for each individual with the likelihood of more
   input from team members and more ownership. The Alliance for
   Technology Access has been instrumental in success of this program;
   the original Assistive Technology Teacher was trained at the ATA
   center, Techspress. Continued support has come in loans of equipment,
   advice and direction, vendor support, and ongoing AT education through
   conferences and a daily conversation through the ATA listserve in
   which technology questions and answers are offered. In an isolated,
   rural region, this brainstorming is invaluable.

Barriers

     * Misconceptions: Parents, teachers, and administrators alike have
       misconceptions about what the technology can and will do for a
       child. Some believe that it is a crutch and is doing the work for
       the child. Others believe that a child with a disability who uses
       it will be "cured".
     * Technology is a tool, rather than a goal. Many times the computer
       or the technology has waited for the arrival of the AT Teacher
       before it is used. Educating the team that the technology is the
       tool rather than the outcome is critical. For example: "Justin
       will write three complete sentences, including correct punctuation
       and capitalization with Write:OutLoud" ensures that the child has
       the tool in place and is using it to meet educational objectives.
     * "You can lead a teacher to technology but you can't make her use
       it..." Teachers still are not using classroom computers as
       teaching tools. In most classrooms, the computer is used as a
       reward system and is off more than it is on because it is "too
       distracting."
     * Mindset: in our area, if you have a visible disability, the
       general mindset is that you'll be riding on the big blue buses
       headed for day treatment or the workshop after you leave the
       public schools.
     * Money: this is the major barrier for our districts. Districts tend
       to look at purchases on an annual basis rather than at long range
       success for individuals. A computer system is an enormous expense
       for any of our districts. Convincing a Board of Education that a
       6th grader needs a computer and that the skills acquired at a
       young age will serve that individual later in life is a difficult
       concept when state aid and other budgetary concerns are a reality.
       Working with districts to find money is one of the puzzle pieces
       to success.
     * Geography: covering 19 school districts means direct contact is
       limited to once a week or less per individual. This becomes worse
       when winter weather is a factor. If the technology is only being
       used when the AT teacher is on site, the student loses.

Steps to Success

     * Commitment to the kids: as educators, parents, technologists,
       friends, therapists or whatever role we play, the individuals we
       work with are reason and focus of our being involved with the
       Assistive Technology program.
     * Administrative support: much of the success of this program has
       been due to the vision of the director of our Innovative Programs.
       In the early stages, budgets were creatively manipulated in order
       to find funding for equipment and for the first AT Teacher
       position. As the program has evolved this has continued.
     * Team building: In our program, the entire team is involved from
       the beginning of the process of selecting the technology and
       strategies are used to make sure that involvement continues. If
       the team is not invested in the technology, it will not be used
       and the student will not benefit. The best evaluations are the
       ones where the OT says, "well, we need to worry about his posture
       so let's support his feet." or the classroom teacher says "Is
       there a way to make the computer talk to him because I notice that
       he understands things better when he hears them."
     * Support from home: without exception, every school that currently
       uses our services started doing so because a parent insisted that
       technology should be considered for his or her child. In addition,
       the technology sometimes is used at home. Consistency in access,
       platform and software is a must.
     * Creative financing: in a poor socio-economic region where budgets
       are cut annually and technology is the first to go, and where the
       special education budget is always questioned we try to be as
       judicious in making recommendations as possible. If the school is
       using a PC platform, and a computer is recommended for a student,
       a computer that matches that platform is recommended. In some
       cases, software or hardware for access is the only adaptation
       needed if a computer is available for the child to access.
     * Know the law: Understand the laws, especially IDEA and P.L. 94-142
       and the rights and protections offered to students and individuals
       with disabilities. This enables even the most reluctant of school
       districts to provide needed services and equipment. In addition,
       within some of these laws are the mechanics of funding high-cost
       items. Considerable time is spent looking at funding AT for
       students through 94-142 and 89-313 monies. In 50% of the schools
       served by our programs, administration has said they have not
       bothered to apply for the 89-313 monies because it is too much
       paperwork and you don't get much money out of it. Providing help
       in doing this paperwork has resulted in some good equipment
       purchases in a timely fashion
     * Work with outside agencies, which have purchased computers,
       hardware, or software for students. Know the workings of VESID or
       vocational rehabilitation organization, ARC, and other regional
       centers and agencies directing funds for agencies such as OMRDD.
       Become familiar with Independent Living Centers and with programs
       offered locally.
     * Write grants: much of our equipment was funded initially through
       demonstration grants. At the end of the life of the grant we were
       able to keep the equipment. We continue to write grants as well
       for demonstration projects with varying success.
     * Use technology for everyone: the more people who see and use the
       technology, the better. In one 4th grade classroom, they received
       a new bundle of CD's. The teacher lamented that she would never be
       able to get into those because she just didn't have time. By
       splitting the class into groups, teaching them proper use of CD's,
       and assigning a CD to each group, each student team was
       responsible for reviewing the disk and at the end of two weeks to
       do a 5 minute "show and tell" highlighting features to classmates.
       Often the students who use the AT services are able to lead the
       way in this because their comfort level with a computer is
       greater. Teaming students allows many different levels of learning
       to take place. It is really powerful to look into a classroom and
       not be able to pick out the students with disabilities because
       they are working at the same tasks as peers.

Evolution for Continued Success

   The model is evolutionary based on the needs of the individuals
   served. As the 1998-99 school year progresses, the emphasis has turned
   to teacher training within the component school districts.

   Rationale: If teachers are aware of the tools that exist at their
   fingertips, have the opportunity not only to help select the
   technology but also to have the time to try it and use it, they will
   be more likely to use it. If they understand what a student is using
   and why, they are more likely to make sure it is being used. If they
   understand law and funding sources the team becomes stronger in
   advocating for a student.

   Providing training on site means that teachers do not have to travel,
   are in their own environments, their own tools are used, training is
   entirely hands-on, and often the students they work with are involved
   in the training. As the teachers work through the training they are
   required to develop lessons and instruction using the tools and become
   invested in using these under supervision. Gradually this supervision
   is reduced and teachers have become very invested and independent in
   making sure the tools are used.

   Finally, AT is applied in the schools by the school teaching staff on
   a regular basis. This leads to a stronger support overall of each
   student and is not reliant upon a sporadic visit by the AT provider.
   The AT teacher is then able to provide services and training as needed
   and waiting periods for evaluations are shorter.

Summary

   Our AT program is evolutionary in nature and the evolution is
   determined by the needs of the individuals we serve.

   Each student is different and unique and we need to have the means to
   allow the student to grow through the technology.

   With the barriers still in place, we manage to have a very successful
   program. With Alliance support, and with growing awareness of the
   power of AT by the districts and agencies, we are making it happen in
   a deprived rural setting.