VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 06:56:15 -0600
The following is from the newsletter of Washington state's federally
funded tech act project.  The author of the article is a blind computer
user.

kelly

                  Web-Based Email -- Benefits and Barriers

by    Debbie Cook
   WATA Director

   We have received numerous requests regarding Web-based e-mail. This
   article describes some of the benefits of this rapidly growing
   Internet resource, how this service is changing the way we use e-mail
   and why this change may pose a significant barrier for many people
   with disabilities.

BACKGROUND

   Many people with disabilities believe that access to the Internet in
   general and ability to use electronic mail (e-mail) in particular has
   significantly enhanced our ability to access information, reduced
   communication barriers and provided increased opportunities for social
   interaction. If you have doubts, check out the number of e-mail
   discussion forums related to disability issues. Of course there's no
   way to track how many people with disabilities are exchanging e-mail
   or participating in discussion with non-disabled people. After all, on
   e-mail I can decide when to disclose that I'm a person who is blind
   and I can be pretty sure that your first question will not be, "how
   much food does your dog guide eat?"

WHAT IS WEB MAIL AND HOW IS IT DIFFERENT?

   Web mail is absolutely free of charge. You register by completing an
   online form then start using your account. (I established accounts
   with four providers: Eudoramail, Yahoo, Hotmail, and NetAddress. There
   are other providers available.) Most commercial e-mail providers
   charge $10 to $20 per month for an account.

   Web mail is stored on the World Wide Web and is retrieved using any
   Web browsing software such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, Lynx etc.
   This means you can check your e-mail at the public library, at work
   (if you have Internet access), at some convenience stores (which costs
   money) and, with the right technology, you can even check mail using
   your TV. In contrast, you need a computer to access your commercial
   e-mail account and you'll probably pay long distance charges to use it
   while traveling.

   Web mail providers offer enhanced security and mail screening features
   which are more sophisticated than those on many commercial accounts.
   For example, I receive no advertising in two of my Web mail accounts
   and very selected ads in the other two accounts. In contrast, I
   receive 5 or 6 unsolicited ads per day in my commercial account.
   Additionally I have one Web mail account set to receive only mail from
   people I've sent mail to.

ACCESS CONSIDERATIONS AND ISSUES

   Users of assistive technology for computer output (screen readers,
   screen enlargers and Braille displays) and those who use input
   alternatives (voice recognition, switches or other keyboard emulation
   devices) may want to research the following questions when considering
   Web mail.

IS THE WEB MAIL SITE ACCESSIBLE?

   The simplest way to check accessibility is to sign up using a
   text-based browser such as Lynx, or use a graphical browser with
   graphics turned off. I registered for three services without much
   difficulty. It was not possible to register for NetAddress without
   graphics because this site does not have text labels for graphical
   buttons. All four sites are technically accessible once you've
   registered, but all four lead you through a maze of links before you
   reach e-mail. It took about three hours per site to develop a strategy
   for logging on and quickly accessing my mail using a screen reader.
   Inexperienced users will need even more time.

DOES IT WORK WITH A BROWSER I CAN USE?

   Browsers vary greatly in their ability to work with assistive
   technology devices. For example, as a screen-reader user I use
   browsers that offer full keyboard support for commands. Someone else
   may need a browser with flexibility in fonts and character sizes. Some
   Web mail sites provide best security support when using Netscape. Some
   make such extensive use of frames that they do not work well with
   Lynx.

ARE THE VENUES ACCESSIBLE TO ME?

   It is the intent of Web mail providers to change how we interact with
   e-mail and the Web so that our access to the Internet will become as
   mobile and as flexible as we are. Unfortunately computer assistive
   technology is often not that mobile. We're not welcome to attach our
   screen readers, voice recognition systems, alternative keyboards,
   pointing devices etc. to terminals in restaurants and convenience
   stores. So Web mail (as it was intended to be used) is not very
   accessible for many people with disabilities.

WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?

   Here's my strategy. I'm in regular contact with my four Web mail
   providers about the accessibility of their sites. They need our input!

   Learn about the accessibility features of browsers and encourage use
   of those which offer the most flexibility for AT users. And, advocate
   strongly that access to public places means physical access and access
   to all services (including technology) offered in that venue.