VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Georgina Joyce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:41:13 -0700
----------
> From: Danny Shavit <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Eastek Ltd. - Dealers of SynthVoice in Israel
> Date: Monday, 22 June, 1998 10:25
>
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to introduce our company. We are dealers of SynthaVoice in
Israel. We are also the manufacturers and developers of the first Hebrew
text to speech technology.
> Our "Stav" synthesizer is a stand alone device connected to a PC by RS232
connection. It has a DoubleTalk compatible protocol. It will read English
as well. Together with Window Bridge it allow the blind people in Israel to
work with Hebrew version of windows for the first time. It is very
exciting. Naturally, the help of SynthaVoice by adapting their product the
Hebrew version of Windows is a great great contribution. Until now, few
blind people were using either English to work with computers or they used
Hebrew under DOS with very simple solutions. Within few month Window Bridge
is already used by 25 Israeli users. Considering the size of our country
and the fact that we are creating a revolution for the blind users, this is
not bad.

> For your information, few warnings/comments for Hebrew version of Windows
users:
> 1. Do not try to install MSAA. It will cause your Hebrew Windows to hang.
It is not adapted for this version of Windows yet. So, do not expect to
work with Office 97. However, Office 7 is working quite well.
> 2. WordPad is not yet fully supported.
> 3. Using the correct display adapter is crucial for correct operation of
SWB. Using display=vga.drv did not help in any of the cases that we had
trouble with. I am not sure if is so senstative with native version of
Windows.
> 4. Reading mixed text (English & Hebrew) is working fine in most cases.
This could be very hard and was solved nicely by SynthaVoice.
> 5. In the last few versions of preview files there is a severe problem
with Hebrew version of Windows. Most text items are not read. The last
preview version we found to be OK is dated May 22.

> Please fill free to contact me with any question. We also, have an active
and skillful representative on the list. It is Arie Gamliel. His email is :