From:
Dan Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 23:07:01 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Orin Charles Kilroy <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, April 24, 1998 1:54 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] CD Music OK but no Music from Windows

>I can give you the reason why you can hear a CD playing and not hear
>sounds.  The CD uses the audio cable between the sound card and the
>CD-ROM drive for sound and the others use software drivers.

Just to be clear, it should be noted that both CD audio and WAV audio use
device drivers. The CD audio cable just connects the CD-ROM drive to the
sound card.

Most of your audio goes to the outputs on your sound card; however, CD audio
is sent out through the CD-ROM drive's audio-out ports. The cable connects
these outputs to the sound card so that your CD audio can play on the same
set of speakers as the rest of your audio.

Dan Chapman
Network Analyst
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
http://www.rpguniverse.com