From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 07:33:14 -0400
On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Nieft / Secola wrote:

> Further, fats may be as or more important than proteins. The human brain is
> some three times larger than a chimps brain, and more than 50% fat if I
> remember correctly, mostly the sacred EPA's and DHEA's. Fats are scarce in
> vegetable foods. (Avocados are "new world" fruits and did not make up any %
> of our old world paleo-ancestor's diet, though nuts probabbly did, but I
> don't think either contains much of the important brain fats).

Purslane is loaded with alpha-linoleic acid, and many other dark
leafy greens have substantial amounts of it.  From ALA we are
capable of making EPA and DHA.  Walnuts also have a significant
amount of ALA, although they are not available everywhere.  A
vegetarian who eats the right things need not have an essential
fatty acid deficienty.  Purslane is one of those plant foods
mentioned in something that Amadeus quoted as now being generally
considered a weed.  Some researchers are now considering the
possibility that it, rather than olive oil, is the beneficial
ingredient of the Mediterranean diet.

> I have yet to meet a person who relies on insects for the major portion of
> their animal food, especially a "vegetarian", though in theory this should
> be entirely possible.

It's curious, though, that we don't eat more worms.  They are
abundant in many locations and easily obtained (without risk).  I
don't know their protein/fat content.  I wonder if they have some
sort of body toxins that create problems...

Todd Moody