From:
"James P. Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:19:22 -0400
Mark,

Short of any really definitive evidence one way or another, I still feel
that HOW YOU FEEL after eating a certain food is as good enough a yardstick
as any.

In my case, I don't tolerate most grains very well, e.g., oats, millet,
wheat, barley.  All of these things make me feel spacey, some of them
(oats, wheat) make me feel itchy, and I feel generally lousy for a time
after I eat them -- and the response comes on pretty quickly.
(Incidentally, if I eat anything with soy in it -- tofu, for instance -- I
get sick for several days...and I mean SICK.)

But rice, wild rice, and semolina don't cause any problem, I like them --
and that's why I'm going to go on eating small quantities of them (usually
mixed with equal parts of beans to add a little extra balanced protein).
As I see it, any long-term dangers posed by such a small quantity of
grains/beans is purely theoretical and not worth obsessing about.

Jim