Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:31:23 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
> German official recommendation is abt. 0.8g per kg.
Not being very familiar with German health care I would not
give it much more weight than I do to FDA pronouncements.
Which is not to say that I ignore all of them, but I do not
accept their recommendations without questioning.

> What is your lean body mass? How does it compare to your protein intake?
I am 162lb at 7.8% bodyfat - just under 150lbs

> How much muscle do *you* gain per week?
I just started to work out after a very long break from weight training.
Went from 158 to 162 in two weeks (was weighing myself at least once a day,
this being average).

> Even if you gained 2 pounds muscle per week, that is still only
> 2 pounds times 20 g protein per 100g muscle= 200g protein per week
> or 28 grams of protein per day (equivalent of 110 grams sunflower).
> How many weeks would you plan to gain 2 pounds of muscle per week?
> Certainly less than one year (52 weeks*2 pounds made abt 50kg additional
> muscles :-)) ).
> You have to stop somewhere.
> After that again the question uprises:
> Where should your protein go to?
May very well go into urine. As I said before, actually using protein
to build tissue or as fuel is only part of it.

> >Some is needed for the excercise itself ...
> >> In my readings I find that burning proteins is the least desireable
> >> source of energy.
> >What do you mean by 'desirable'?
> I'd call the use of protein as a caloric source for the body as
> least desireable because it offers some drawbacks compared to the
> other sources (fat and carbohydrates).
> - protein breakdown causes the body-ph to go to the acid-side (acidification)
>   this causes additional calcium needs which might be taken from your bones.
>   acidification might have some other severe drawbacks found in literature
>   (hair loss, for ex)
I remember seeing studies that have debunked this. Maybe somebody on the list
has references handy (I believe I saw them on lowcarb-l list)

> - It's puts additional workload on your kindeys - maybe this won't harm you
>   however kidneys were not useless before, they have more tasks to do
I believe that in people without preexisting kidney conditions this does not
cause any harm. I seem to remember that somebody has already posted references
to this on this list (but I could be confusing this list with of the other lists).

> - It comes together with DNA-material(purin source)
I am sorry - I don't know what you are referring to here.

>  - that's waste which has
>   to go though your body (exception: protein from milk).
Are there any negative impacts on the body because of this?

> - protein from farmed meat comes together with possible hormone and pesticid
>   remains and fats in an unhealthy composition (w-3 w-6 saturated...)
That's why I eat organically grown, grass fed meat.

> Since you can have easily other caloric sources, I see only drawbacks
> in calories from protein without any advantage, compared to oil/fruit.
I already listed some advantages in my last message.

> >There are additional reasons for eating more protein. E.g., protein appears
> >to be mildly anabolic, so if you eat more it becomes easier for you to
> >build bigger muscles. Since this is one of my goals I eat more protein.
> If *that's* the reason, then now I understand your goals better.
> Accepted. Taking anabolicas directly might be an option then.
No, anabolic steroids are not a really healthy option from my perspective.

Ilya