Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:36:40 -0500
Hello S.B, and Amadeus!

Chemical reactions can be exothermic or endothermic.

Perhaps "metabolize" might be a better term than "burn".

Enzymes are used by the body to cause a fever. Enzymes are catalysts, as are
vitamins.

The B vitamins are needed for carbohydrate metabolism. That is why sugar is
referred to as  "empty calories" -- it depletes body reserves of B vitamins.
That is also why alcohol -- another "empty calorie" can cause a hangover --
for which B vitamins are used in recovery.

Whole grains have plenty of B vitamins in their outer covering -- which are
removed in the milling process.

Sorry - dont have time to give references except suggest a book "Sugar
Blues" by William Duffy. This author was way ahead of the times. He
popularized the connection between refined carbs and diabetes to the lay
public-- 20 years before the American Diabetic Association began to say
similar things.

Mahesh aka ElectronicBoy