From:
"C. Loon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:53:20 -0400
> They can also be bought frozen. They have compartments with large seeds and
> a custard like pulp.
>
> Delicious and nourishing!  In Chicago, the whole fruit sells for $1.95 a
> lb, and the average fruit weighs about 5lbs.
>
> I am told it is a favourite fruit of the Orang Utans. Harvesting it is
> dangerous because it grows over a hundred feet high and can fall on the
> heads of the gatherers.

I know it's a little off-topic, but I oughtta add this: I live in
Chinatown where durian is commonly sold in fruit markets - pheew! Here's a
hilarious excerpt from Durian OnLine:  "Yeah,yeah, I know, some
(unadventurous) people would rather die than to smell the STINK of a
durian. Heck, a few countries even BAN the presence of durian in selected
public spots due to its offensive smell (that to me, is a hopeless rule
just like outlawing fart, when we know that it is such a pleasure and
EVERYBODY secretly doing it!)"  http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~durian/

Nutritional info can be found at
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/5301/facts.htm#chart

a good addition to any paleodiet. One of these days I'll try one.

Cheyenne