From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 20:23:46 -0500
>From:    Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Egg substitute
>
>Ilya <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>Are there credible studies linking dietary cholesterol to any health
>>problems?

You tell me.  The reason I minimize (not eliminate) cholesterol is
because that is recommended from my CR diet sources.  We CR'ers go from
every angle for lifespan increase, and I believe there have been a few
studies about cholesterol linked to heart disease.  BTW - that is why I
am persuing my CR program via paleo - to go for the best in every way
towards a maximum lifespan.

>Now James, are you afraid that the
>eggs are going to raise your cholesterol?

Afraid isn't quite the right word, but that is the main reason I minimize
it (to 100 mg/day, just a rough guide).  In subsequent years, my total
cholesterol was 116, 126, 160 something.  I know most people will jump
all over me for thinking 160 is a little high (for me it is), but I
didn't like the trend.  BTW, I talked to my doctor about it, and he said
that the old cutoff for "high" cholest. used to be ~200, but now the
trend is toward 180.  Very important is of course the HDL/total lipid
ratio, also.  (I realize this info is taken in the context of a SAD diet,
which I believe skews the results - I just like to be conservative and
consider that it may be good information).

>[eggs]-> They will raise your HDL, and as
>that is a component of Total then I guess it will also raise that.
>
>Don.

Thank you, I didn't realize that.  BTW - I do eat an egg once in a while.
Also, the eggs I use are real eggs, the cholesterol is just removed, and
they are liquid.

James Crocker

James
"Men who have worked together to reach