From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 11:25:52 -0700
I have communicated With Todd and he has said that he will be back
after his vacation. Here is part of what I wrote to Todd --

> I love to question anything and everything. If we had all of the
> answers we wouldn't need a list like paleofood. We still have things
> to find out and you have been doing your part in trying to establish
> what works and why it does.

As I see it this is the purpose of the list. Being healthy is very
important to at least most of us. However there are some health
strategies that one could choose that are not "Paleo". This is not the
place to discuss those. One that comes to mind is calorie restriction.
The only time this happens in H/G societies is when they can't find
any food. Also H/G's are not vegetarian. The proportion of animal
foods may vary by season and group but there will always be some
animal food whenever possible. Another health strategy is
supplementation. Vitamins are found in food. You may feel that you
cannot get enough from your food but that is a topic for another list.
(I used to work as a nutritionist and found that supplements could be
used as a temporary quick fix for a deficiency but not a long term
solution. Your body quickly finds the formula out of balance for its
needs and starts reacting against it.)

Please try to keep to paleo topics as much as possible. The list topic
is Hunter/Gatherer ways of eating/living. We have NeanderThin as a
reference but if everyone did perfectly following it, Ray wouldn't
need to post anything to this list other than "look on page X" for the
answer to your question. This is a discussion list and a support list.
I assume that Ray is willing to discuss anything in NeanderThin and
will add to it as time goes on. When I read "... Naked with a sharp
stick ...", I didn't think of fire as being included. My own diet is
raw paleo with raw dairy (a convenient source of raw animal fat). I am
more of a scavenger than a hunter. I find a fresh kill (at the health
food store) and throw pieces of green paper (Money) at the possessor
until he lets me take away parts of the kill. Ray is a falconer and is
able get his meat a little fresher. You have to do your what works for
you.

Pleas No Flames. Discuss ideas not people. If you disagree with an
idea, explain why with any supporting reasons. Anyone participating in
flames will find themselves on Review meaning that posts only go to
the list if I approve them. Everyone starts out this way so that I can
see that they are following the posting guidelines as outlined in the
Welcome message that you receive when you subscribe. (No excessive
quoting of a post that you are replying to, proper formatting, proper
subject - never "Paleofood Digest ...", no HTML, etc.) I try to take
someone off review as quickly as possible but I don't do this until I
see you post. Last time I checked there were about seventy people on
Review. As on most lists there are many who only read but do not post.
Review is more work for me and slows down the activity of the list.

We are lucky to be able to use the server here at St. Johns
University. There are problems of storage space so please do remove
any excess quoting when you replay to a message and do not include
signature lines.

Dave Karas
listowner