From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 20:08:23 -0500
>Ray, thanks again for sharing your understanding.
>Arthur McCaskey

Well, I for one welcome you to this list, Arthur.  You seem to have a very constructive attitude
and an open mind.  It would be great if more people shared these qualities.

One interesting point that I haven't seen on this list is about calorie restriction.  I am
referring to real calorie restriction, where you trim the cals, not the nutrition.  This is not
food restriction, which some obese people resort to to lose large amounts of weight (unhealthy
in itself).  Integral to calorie restriciton that I refer to is the nutrient packed calorie, or
a high nutrition to low calorie ratio.  It's also called a hi/low diet for this reason.

You mentioned that the turkey sausage tasted great and felt very satisfying.  It's a plain fact
for most people, that meat and fat taste good and are satisfying.

However, the prime factor working here is species survival, and has nothing to do with
individual survival (beyond eating to stay alive).  The strong species instinct is to consume
many more calories than necessary to survive individually, which results in an increased rate of
aging and accelerated reproduction.  This is good for species survival.  If you are talking
about health and longevity (individual survival), some calorie restriction (with high nutrition)
provides attractive benefits.

BTW - I eat modest amounts of fish and poultry, and a little red meat, so this is not a vegan
diet promotion.  I believe one of the best diets is a nice balance of mostly vegetables, fruits,
some nuts, some lean meat, and a little red meat (just a little, even if it's lean).

Also, a hi/low diet certainly is satisfying, at least at moderate restriction levels.  By rough
estimate, we can reduce the chances of dying from the top killer diseases by as much as 80%, and
allow our lifespans to extend to possibly 120 to 130 yrs or more (with more restriction).  This
is also called a life extension diet.  This is what I have practiced for a little over a year.

Through library research I have decided for myself what a paleo diet is, and I am attempting to
mimic it in my own CR program.  From my own experience at how easy it is to lose the first few
pounds (from my already lean frame) I also conjecture that a paleo diet also comes pretty close
to a CR diet.  I have chosen to mesh the two, although I am not completely settled on specifics
yet.

James

"Chance favors the prepared mind."
        -Louis Pasteur