From:
Dave Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 12:18:16 -0700
[Clark]
June 10th Monday 1805
        we drew up our large Perogue into the middle of a small Island in the
North fork and covered her with bushes after makeing her fast to the trees,
branded several trees to prevent the Indians injureing her,  Sahcahgagwea our
Indian woman verry sick.  I blead her,  we determined to ascend the South fork,
and Capt. Lewis selects 4 men George, Drewyer, Gison, Jo. Fields & S.
Gutrich to accompany him & deturmine to set out in the morning.  The after
noon or night cloudy some rain, river riseing a little.

[Lewis]
Thursday June 13th 1805
{Long entry - most omitted}
        My fare is really sumptuous this evening; buffaloe's humps, tongues
and marrowbones, fine trout parched meal pepper and salt, and a good
appetite; the last is not considered the least of the luxuries.

[Lewis]
Tuesday July 16th 1805
        Drewyer killed a buffaloe this morning near the river and we halted and
breakfasted on it.  here for the first time I ate of the small guts of the buffaloe
cooked over a blazing fire in the Indian stile without any preparation of washing
or other clensing and found them very good.  After breakfast I determined to
leave Capt. C. and party and go on to the point where the river enters the the
Rocky Mountains and make the necessary observations against their arrival;
accordingly I set out with the two invalleds Potts and LaPage and Drewyer.

  Dave Chapman