NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cathy O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 18:55:22 -0800
I am currently breastfeeding my 15 month old, milk allergic daughter.  I have
completely eliminated all dairy from my diet and we are both thriving!  If you
do this, make sure you take a calcium supplement for yourself.

I agree that 3 years old is the age that we have heard many children outgrow
this type of allergy.

If you decide against continued breastfeeding, I too would suggest one of the
hypoallergenic formulas.  In fact I just received a free sample of Nutramigen
last week, at my request, so we could be ready, in case Amber decides to wean.
They are very expensive and apparently not very palatable due to all the
processing involved in reducing the proteins.

I would be very careful about giving any soy products, because it is quite
common for a milk allergic child to also have other allergies, on of the most
common of which is soy.

I plan on keeping up the breastfeeding for as long as possible.

Best of luck to you!

Cathy