NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:13:51 -0800
On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:21:46 -0800 P & M Clark <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>I am curious what others have found to work when traveling.

You don't say what mode of travel - plane or car.  We take a cooler where
ever we go - we did this before allergies too.  Obviously in a car, it's
no problem.  On a plane, I pack things like the boxes of soy milk in it,
tape it shut at the check-in counter and it becomes a piece of checked
luggage.  I've frozen foods (margerine, fresh baked cookies, Kosher
salami, etc) and packed them in the cooler with bottles of frozen water
(don't use dry ice, just the reusable ice packs that I can keep using
while there and just toss to come back).  I pack dirty laundry or wet
towels in the cooler for the return trip :-)

While on a trip, we usually try to do sandwich type stuff especially for
lunches.  You can usually find something that will work - bagels and
lunch meats.  I carry a sharp paring knife with me to cut tomatoes and
rolls.  Chips and pretzels and sodas for snacking.  That way we can stop
whenever and where ever we want or need to.  Breakfast is usually pop
tarts or cereal.

Dinners are more difficult.  If you book somewhere with a kitchenette or
a condo type unit, it won't be a problem because you can cook.  You
didn't say if you were staying in one place or going to be moving around.
 When you check in, at least make sure that there is a fridge.  If not, I
pack my cooler with ice from the machine.  I always carry a box of zipper
storage bags and fill them with ice to keep things from floating.

Many places have "complementary" coffee makers, so you could at least get
hot water if you have some instant cup meals.  I usually take one or two
along on the plane also in case the meals get screwed up.  That way, at
least I have something to eat.  It might not be the greatest, but they do
have hot water and it will hold me over.

That's all my tips I can think of,
Kathy P.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]