NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:22:25 -0700
: This was my first holidays with a toddler allergic to foods
: and I just need to vent how exhausted it has been for both
: myself and my daughter. We made many mistakes which I will
: learn from and perhaps others can learn from:

Jill -

This is our 3rd year (the first year, she was still 100% on breastmilk,
and didn't have problems with that), and I'll be the first to tell you
it DOES get easier!  Both by limiting the food-centered rituals, and
by your daughter getting older and knowing and listening when you have
to say no.  A few of my friends even ask for recipes they know Alyssa
can have, and that feels really really good.

The best thing I've done for handling others' attempts to give your
child food is to be really really paranoid and panicky... if you make
the stories scary enough, nobody will be willing to even feed safe food!
For a couple of years, I had to go around wiping tables twice, getting
new utensils for each food, etc... Alyssa really did get hives from
second-hand touch!  This looks serious enough that everyone took me
seriously, and I have not had any problem with anyone offering food
without checking with me first.  Now, Alyssa is old enough to say no,
or check with me first.

Laurie (and Alyssa, 4yo, who had a wonderful, food-safe holiday, except
when Mom decided she should try a walnut crumb!!!)
- now allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts and walnuts -