NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
engjrntchr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 1956 00:59:13 +0000
The last time there was extensive discussion on this list concerning
sodium stearoyl lactylate.....about a year ago....the final conclusion
was that you could not be sure unless you checked with the food
producer.

Sodium stearoyl lactylate is derived from potato and milk.  It is a
dough conditioner.  Our allergist said find out what one baker uses and
then stay brand loyal.  That basically is what we have done.

The mass market bread bakery in our town uses the potato based form.

As always, we read labels EVERY time and prefer products without a
questionable ingredient.

Also, a side note:  You might think about other things made by the same
company that might likely use the same equipment, especially if there is
no kosher certification.  For instance, a well-known brand of graham
crackers has one flavor with milk, one flavor without.  We buy neither
since there is a greater chance of cross contamination.

Deborah