NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
P & M Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 20:11:02 -0700
Someone asked for the Wacky Cake Recipe last week and I haven't seen it posted but
ran into it today at home.  Its birthday month at our house so I will share our
favortie birthday cake recipe too.
Wacky Cake eggless, milkless,nutless (cake mentioned on list)
3 cups flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp vinegar
3/4 cup cooking oil
2 cups water
Put all ingredients together in vown and beat for 2 minutes.  Pour into ungreased
9x13 baking pan.  Bake for 40-50 minutes at 350.  Rises well and is very moist

Apple Cake (found by my mom and modified form a Country Living Magazine recipe)
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 TBSP ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1 Granny Smith Apple
Grease 9x9 pan and preheat oven at 325.  In large bowl beat brown sugar, oil and
applesauce until well miced.  Beat in flour mixture (of dried ingredients
premixed).  Spoon batter into pan.  Core and slice the apples (into a shape like a
half moon) and lay those on top of the batter. Important step - Cover with foil and
bake 55 minutes.  Make glaze
Glaze for on top- 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 TBSP flour (original recipe
also had 2/3 cups coarsely chopped walnuts which we omit).   Just pour the glaze
over the top when the cake is done.
Birthday option: we make our own frosting and skip the apple slices so we can put
candles in the cake.  Frosting is powdered sugar and a little orange juice or
powdered sugar and rice dream.