NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:32:48 -0400

>Can they really refuse to provide emergency assistance?  Did the Mass
>legislature really outdo itself this time and make it ~illegal~ to
>provide it?  I'll be working my way up the food chain Tuesday, and I'm
>trying to figure out how far I'll need to go...

I was never really clear on the Mass. statutes about emergency treatment in
the schools. We have been told that our teachers and other school staff
members are forbidden from dispensing medications and have been told that
it is state law. We have not investigated further, prefering to pursue
local solutions and not to "take on the system." As I've said in prior
postings, we were just too weary and daunted at the time to want to do
this. Our local solutions have worked for us, so we have felt little need
to pursue it a a legislative level. I do understand that the laws have been
changing - it used to be illegal for students to carry inhalers and
medications with them, and that has now changed.

Mark
Mark Feblowitz                  GTE Laboratories Incorporated
[log in to unmask]              40 Sylvan Road, Waltham, MA 02154-1120