NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Catherine Ordener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 08:43:23 -0800
Larissa wrote:
My son (now 9) suffered greatly with ear infections, even
had tubes put
in a age 9 months, the infections continued until we
completely removed
dairy from the diet.  Sounds like it has not helped with
just cutting
back because the child is still sick.  I've found with one
of my
daughters as well that the dairy products must be
completely gone or her
asthmatic cough starts.  Certainly less amounts would help
I suppose but
if it irritates the childs system you  have to eliminate it
all in my
experience.

==========================
I assure you, dairy is not the only reason for continual
ear infections.  My
son was diagnosed as milk-allergic when he was 12 months
old and we
removed every trace of milk from his  diet.  He had his
first ear infection
at 11 months and had them almost continually until he was
five years old.
In our case (as in, no doubt, many others) the culprit was
an unusually
small Eustachian tube which did not allow drainage from the
ear to occur
fast enough.  When he was 5, he went through that period of
growth
 that changes the direction of the Eustachian tube so that
it's more vertical
than horizontal, and he has only had a couple of ear
infections since (now 10yo).

psam

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone
else.