CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

alister air <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:46:28 +1000
>> the individual pursuit of self-interest can be collectively
>self-defeating.
>
>This is an oxymoronic statement (self-defeating self-interest).

No, it's not.  Individual self-interest is clearly to the detriment of
community interest.

Has anyone read The Origins of Virtue by ... someone who's name escapes me
right now?  I'd be interested in hearing opinions and comments about it...
if thre's no-one who'll admit to reading it, I'll cover a few bits which
are of relevance to the purpose of this list.

Alister

--

  Alister Air - Senior Microcomputer Support Adviser (Nursing)
Information Technology Division - University of Technology Sydney

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint.
 When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."
                                         -- Dom Helder Camara