CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bergesons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 19:20:09 -0400
Martin,

I have been following the conversations you have had with several others on
the list about the futility, hypocrisy (though I'm not sure you use this
term in this context), and counter-productivity of protesting the spreading
of capitalism in its existing forms, e.g:

"I agree.  That is why I argue that activists should support the
process of covering the world with western-style capitalism and
democracy.  The western-style capitalist democracies advocate
western-style capitalism and democracy for the whole world.  As in
judo, use the opponent's force against him.  When western-style
capitalism and democracy covers the world, it will stop fighting
enemies because there won't be any enemies to be against.  In that
state, evolution away from that system will be possible.  It is not
possible when the whole force of western civilization is directed
toward making it happen."

Much of your argument seems to derive from this central tenet:  fighting
against capitalism will only make it stronger, and we must wait for a more
opportune moment to begin reforming society.  I have to say that these kinds
of arguments are eerily reminiscent of those used extensively in the
American south to discourage civil rights protests.  In response, more
people gathered together, risking life, limb, and family, and eventually did
away with Jim Crow and segregation (though it is back again, stronger than
ever, particularly in public schools).  The real point of my post, however,
is to ask you quite seriously what you think of this brief excerpt from a
report on the run-up to WTO carnival in Seattle:

"The "race to the bottom" philosophy of the WTO was
confirmed by Michael Moore (director of the WTO) in a
speech at UW just a few days prior on Oct. 1. In this
speech, Moore stated that "world standards must come
down to same level" before we can start building them
up to a decent level globally."

Moore was using this to justify the WTO's decision to force El Salvador to
lower the minimum wage from 60 to 36 cents an hour.  Do you agree with this
argument?  Does it jibe with your own?  It seems hard to fathom that someone
would discourage a group that protests such terrifying measures.  Are you
saying that protesters and activists should not have bothered with raising
consciousness about sweatshops and child labor?
Just curious,

Soren