BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sbmarcus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Telepathic chickens leave no traces.
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:31:57 -0400
As the in house champion of the "modern" I'd like to offer a couple of
modern additions to structures designed in more traditional idioms; ones
that dare poke their heads above ground with what, I think, are more than
satisfactory results. I'm thinking of Louis Kahn's addition to the Mellon
Museum at Yale and Robert Venturi's addition to the Bard College library; a
particularly difficult assignment, as the original was a scaled down
version of a Parthenon-like Greek temple (and not a neon sign to be found).

Another example of a modern structure that I think sits comfortably within
a setting of 19th Century ambiance is I. M. Pei's Portland (Maine) Museum
of Art.

Bruce