BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:22:59 EST
Keats Lorenz, Woodcarver.

Keats learned traditional English woodcarving (1900-1920) in Boston and New
York shops, and worked in the Boston architecture office of Cram, Goodhue and
Ferguson as a stylist and modelor of classical details. He did architectural
woodcarving for prominant buildings throughout the mid-west (1920-1960) from
Dallas to Chicago including the famous Indian Doors of the east senate chamber
in the Nebraska Capitol Building (that huge Art Deco tower designed by
Goodhue). He taught my father woodcarving and woodworking in the 1920s.
Althought I knew Keats when I was a child, I did not learn woodcarving
directly from him. I can recognize his work because my father sent me out on
many, many sketching and modeling assignments, recording and studying his
work. By the time I was 14, I was the woodcarver in my father's shop, and
Keats passed away. His wife called me and my father out to his shop. She said
Keats wanted me to have his carving tools  because he knew that in my hands
they would continue in the good work of making the world a better place to
live. There are 300 or so chisels of every description including some custom
made. She also gave me many of Keat's sketch books, work books and
architectural reference books. She then advised to go "back east" where my
work would be better appreciated, which I did. In my research for this little
biobraphy on Keats I notice that he grew up in Maine, which is where I have
landed some 40 years later. As you can imagine, Keats and his tools continue
to inspire me in my woodworking and historic preservation work.  John Leeke,
Portland, Maine. 1998. (copyright 1998 John C. Leeke)

Bryan: I do hope you intend to publish this series you are collecting. I have
marked a copyright but would willingly pass along any necessary rights for
publication. If you are looking for an online repository I would be willing to
put it up and maintain it at my Historic HomeWorks website. Good luck in this
excellent effort of yours. John