BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:53:23 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-29 23:35:40 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< But I do know lots of Connecticut gardeners who won't bother to grow
 tomatoes, cause the ones in the Stop n' Shop are cheap and plentiful and
 apparently function adequately in salads.

 My compliments, however, to anyone who considers growing their own tomatoes
 a productive or satisfying use of their time. >>

I hate store bought tomatoes and will only get my tomatoes from the farmer's
market. I grow my own, but mainly for the fun of having the bushes 12' high
and perking up the neighbors to the idea. I compete with one neighbor to see
who can get the first red tomatoe. He cheats and grows his over the septic
tank. My wife told me to stop growing tomatoes and so I am growing beans, okra
& peppers this year. I like the yellow and the cherry tomatoes. Two hour
commute I pull into the lot, walk the garden, and pop some fresh tomatoes into
my mouth, have to watch out for the occasional slug. Can't tell you how much
it is worth as the idea of reaching the tomatoe patch on a summer night keeps
me going, and I'm the primary earner. Piss on store bought tomatoes.

On year we had too many tomatoes and the goats got into them where I had them
ripening on the front porch. Goats don't seem to like to eat tomatoes as much
as walk and stink on them. I had fallen asleep in the hammock reading Moby
Dick. When I came alert again the goats were having a grand time trampling the
crop. I got mad and ran around the house chasing the goats and throwing
tomatoes at them. My favorite tomatoe adventure.

I hate tomatoe soup.

][<en