Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ray Reyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 09:26:07 -0700
At 01:38 AM 4/18/98 -0700, Lucas Taylor wrote:

>I can get it to power up, and I have even installed win95..everything seems
>fine.  Unless I bump the case, or insert a floppy disk while it is powered
>on.    The whole unit powers off and I can't get it to turn back on.  The
>button just acts dead.  It also happened when I put the front cover on (it
>just snaps in).  The only way I can get it to turn on again is if I
>disconnect the power cable, then unplug the power supply from the
>motherboard, plug it in again, then plug in the external power cable.
>Am I looking at a problem with the case and power supply, or the
>motherboard?  (or something else)
>I checked the power switch and everything was tight.  I don't have another
>ATX case so I can't really test it out and I purchased this case from out of
>town.  Any suggestions?

Sounds like something is shorting out when you bump it.  From your
description it sounds like you have a bad power supply, but it could also
be the motherboard shorting out against the case.  Make sure you have
spacers on at least four points on the motherboard. Also, if that's an ATX
motherboard, check the connection to the "soft" power switch if you
installed it, and make sure it's not shorting out.

good luck,

ray
ICQ 8603107

"Whaddya mean I'm on hold?  I thought I was online!!"