Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:18:01 -0400
On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:41:41 -0400, Ilya <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
>> You do eat 900 grams of it, then you'll have at least 170 grams of protein.
>You looked at the leanest ground beef, and that is less than 20 grams/100gram.
>Regular ground beef is 16.62/100 or just under 75gm per pound, which is
>pretty close to what I said. What are you disagreeing with?
I'm not disagreeing with anything here, I just emphasize
that this way you eat abt. 150 grams of protein only from the meat.

>... Some of the studies that did impress me were the
>ones that dealt with muscle growth, strength growth, etc. in
>athletes vs. protein consumption. 0.9 - 1.0 gm / pound of lean

>bodymass appeared to be the optimum amount, if I recall correctly.
This is the biggest amount I ever heard of. 2gms/kg.
German official recommendation is abt. 0.8g per kg.
My references show that for adults (sedentary students)
about 0.375grams of *ideal* composed protein is needed.
What is your lean body mass? How does it compare to your protein intake?

>Some is needed for the actual new muscle (which btw could be substantial,
>some people can gain as much as 1-2 pounds of lean tissue a week).
How much muscle do *you* gain per week?
Even if you gained 2 pounds muscle per week, that is still only
2 pounds times 20 g protein per 100g muscle= 200g protein per week
or 28 grams of protein per day (equivalent of 110 grams sunflower).
How many weeks would you plan to gain 2 pounds of muscle per week?
Certainly less than one year (52 weeks*2 pounds made abt 50kg additional
muscles :-)) ).
You have to stop somewhere.
After that again the question uprises:
Where should your protein go to?

>Some is needed for the excercise itself ...
>> In my readings I find that burning proteins is the least desireable
>> source of energy.
>What do you mean by 'desirable'?
I'd call the use of protein as a caloric source for the body as
least desireable because it offers some drawbacks compared to the
other sources (fat and carbohydrates).
- protein breakdown causes the body-ph to go to the acid-side (acidification)
  this causes additional calcium needs which might be taken from your bones.
  acidification might have some other severe drawbacks found in literature
  (hair loss, for ex)
- It's puts additional workload on your kindeys - maybe this won't harm you
  however kidneys were not useless before, they have more tasks to do
- It comes together with DNA-material(purin source)
 - that's waste which has
  to go though your body (exception: protein from milk).
- protein from farmed meat comes together with possible hormone and pesticid
  remains and fats in an unhealthy composition (w-3 w-6 saturated...)
Since you can have easily other caloric sources, I see only drawbacks
in calories from protein without any advantage, compared to oil/fruit.

>There are additional reasons for eating more protein. E.g., protein appears
>to be mildly anabolic, so if you eat more it becomes easier for you to
>build bigger muscles. Since this is one of my goals I eat more protein.
If *that's* the reason, then now I understand your goals better.
Accepted. Taking anabolicas directly might be an option then.

>....My point was that consuming this much protein does not
>cause any negative effects, while achieving some goal of mine.
I hope I *could* identify some negative effects.

re
gards, Amadeus