Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:11:27 -0400
On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Barbara A. Rosen wrote:

> Anyone have any clues as to why my pulse is so stubbornly elevated?  I'm
> thinking of adding more fruit into my diet for a while to see if the pulse
> rate will drop with more carbs.  I strongly believe this is related to eating
> low carb, as a year and a half ago, when I ate low-carb for a few weeks, the
> same thing happened.  (The raised pulse was one of the reasons I quit low-carb
> at the time).

This is just a guess.

In an earlier post I mentioned that low blood sugar triggers the
release of catecholamines (e.g., the stress hormones cortisol,
etc.), which trigger the liver to do gluconeogenesis to make up
the blood sugar drop.  It's possible that your liver is having
trouble keeping up with the demand, so the low blood sugar
continues to trigger the stress hormones, and these are raising
your pulse rate.

The solution would be just what you suggested.  Add more (paleo)
carbs and see if it goes away.  Then, if you have some special
reason for wanting to go lower in carbs, you can see if you can
adapt to gradual reduction.

But remember, it's just a guess.

Todd Moody