Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:19:15 -0500
Hello!
<<
Ray States:
>The real reason for vegetarianism is that domestic animals compete with
>grains for resources.  When resources are strained by population growth
>as in India in the 6th century BC (when Budism and Janism began and
>Hindus became vegetarians), the animals have to go to produce more grain.
> See Marvin Harris's (Anthropologist, Columbia University)"Cannibals and
>Kings" for more on this process and how grain cultivation led to this
>overpopulation.

Jainism has its origins about 6000 BCE as current research shows. Its basis
is philosophical and scientific and had nothing to do with scarcity of
grain. Its philosopical basis is "ahimsa" or non-violence. Jains were also
opposed to the ritualistic sacrifies made in ancient Vedic India and also as
described in the Old Testament.

A sect of Jains travelled several hundred miles on foot to escape famine
rather than eat meat. This is based on recorded ancient history.

As humans, we are well adapted to travelling long distances on foot and can
survive for periods without food.

Mahesh aka ElectronicBoy