Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:34:51 -0400
Robert A. McGlohon, Jr. wrote:
>         At least that's the theory.  A couple things about the theory bother
> me:  (1) it seems to assume that these societies were closed systems,
> and they weren't, even if trade was not as efficient as it is today; and
> (2) it seems to assume a planned economy and ignore the impact market
> forces would have on meat vs. grain production.
Add to that the assumption that the cattle would be fed grain and neglecting
the sustainability of growing grain in the long term. We have depleted much
of our topsoil. You can still continue to raise cattle on grass, but for
how much longer are we going to be able to sustain massive grain harvests?
Many places that used to be fertile ages ago are now deserts (not all, but
some are because of the excessive agriculture).

Ilya