NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:52:46 -0600
Laura Marple wrote:

>The very best thing you can do to prevent and minimize allergies is to
>breastfeed! Soy formula is not the answer, as soy is allergenic too. This
>was a real concern for us, because allergies, food allergies and asthma
>run in our families and we didn't want our baby to suffer needlessly.
>Breastfeeding as long as possible (2 years minimum is ideal) and
>postponing solids (breastmilk is the ideal food for the first 12 months -
>not much else, if anything, is needed in most cases) should be basics
>whenever a tendency to be allergic is suspected. And even when it's
>not, because you never know, and the children are the ones who pay
>the price. Even if your baby started out formula-fed, it is not too late!
>You can relactate (even women who have never given birth are often
>able to breastfeed their adopted babies). Contact La Leche League or
>a lactation consultant for help with this.

This has been our experience.  I commented in an earlier post:

> I learned early on from a great library book on allergies
>and asthma that if a child is allergic to a food totally keep them off it
>and depending on the child the allergy can improve.  The has been the case
>with our son and milk allergy
>
>He is now 5 1/2 and only if a little milk is cooked into something (we only
>found out by accident, as we still don't allow any milk) he has no reaction
>at all.  This is a far cry from when he was a baby and was covered head to
>toe with hives from an accidental ingestion of dairy.

Our son has no allergy to soy and his allergy to dairy is greatly improved.
When he was born we realized he had food allergies and I had already read
a friend's copy of a great book from La Leche League.

I breastfed solely (no solids) until he was 6 months and then only very
limited solids.  And did not introduce any soy until he was between 2 and
3.  He loved to nurse and did so vigorously until age 2.  Then we cut back
gradually until he was totally weaned at age 3.

I really feel this was a great help in his allergies getting better and not
developing an allergy to soy.  I wish more pediatricians knew how to advice
parents with children with allergies.  I found reading and educating myself
was the best thing I ever did.

Rachele Shaw