NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 09:01:54 -0600
>Curious.  What is "parve" and why does it indicate that there are no milk
>products?
      Well I'm not Jewish, so my explanation may not be perfect--but "Parve"
(which can be either a symbol or the actual word written out on the
packaging) indicates that a particular product is Kosher. Kosher foods are
foods that are prepared according to Jewish dietary laws.  It means that
there won't be a mixture of different types of meat or animal products
within the product labeled "Kosher" or "Parve." (My understanding is that
the Jews were giving these rules for eating in Biblical times as they left
captivity from Egypt and crossed through the desert, where there wasn't any
refrigeration and foodborne diseases were a problem, in to the Holy Lands.
The dietary law, reportedly given to the Jews by God, has been credited for
teaching the basic principles of food safety long before microbiologist ever
discovered the need for such instruction.)

Knowing to look for the Parve symbol is a WONDERFUL way to find 100%
dairy-free margarine--which can be very difficult some times, but I STILL
read the ingredients on the label regardless of the symbol!  It is also
useful in restaurants where things are often questionable.  You can ask for
Parve and if they don't know what you are talking about--don't trust eating
the food item in question--stick to things that you know can't have dairy
products in them.

Smiles,
Dawn