NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:03:45 -0800
From:
"Peter G. Tallas" <[log in to unmask]>
Sandy Graham wrote:
>Has anyone heard the latest about the lead content in the calcium
>supplements and tums?  I have asked a pharmacist at work and she had
>heard nothing about it.  Where can I get the latest info on this?

There has been some misinformation going around, due to an Associated Press
error in reporting a story.  On the 28th of this month, AP reported a
manufacturer/distributor of calcium supplements, Leiner Health Products,
agreed that their "products would contain less than five-tenths of a gram of
lead per recommended daily dosage".  The correct statement was "products
will contain less than half a microgram of lead per ...".  That's a
millionth of the amount reported in the original statement.   Also, a senior
scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council was misquoted when the
AP quoted her as saying " ... you can't get the calcium without the lead."
The correct statement was "You can get the calcium without the lead".

Calcium supplements are still one of the best ways of getting your calcium.
Just stay away from calcium from bone meal or dolomite.