NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Anat Sichel and Mike Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:25:51 -0700
Below, I included an excerpt from a post from the celiac list. The
information was from a woman named Laura at Imagine Foods. The gluten in
Rice Dream, according to another post, is significant to people avoiding
gluten. I can find the post with those details (how much gluten), I
think, if it is of interest. Hope this helps.

Anat Sichel

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - author
unknown

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:14:27 -0600 brenda <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Could you please clarify what ingredient in Rice Dream contains the
>gluten?
> I recently bought some and avoided the vanilla because I wasn't sure
>of
>the extract they would use for the flavoring.  The regular flavor
>seemed to
>be okay according to the label.  I'm just wondering what I missed
>there.
>
>Brenda

All products made by Imagine Foods Inc contain gluten except for one
product:  the
Plain Flavored Rice Dream Carob Frozen Dessert.  All other Rice Dream
products contain
gluten, including all other frozen desserts (including other flavors
containing carob
too) and all of their milk substitutes.  Barley is used in the processing
of the
milk substitutes and a gluten grain alcohol is used in the processing of
the Vanilla
for the frozen desserts.

The Imagine Puddings contain a gluten free rice syrup; however, the
Vanilla used
involves the use of a gluten grain alcohol and thus the puddings contain
a small
amount of gluten.