NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 20:29:01 +0000
From:
"Melissa C." <[log in to unmask]>
> On Sun, 4 Jan 1998 14:47:57 -0600 lfk <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> >  Has anyone discovered a tactful way of dealing with
> >non-believing relatives?

Kathy is right, tactful doesn't always cut it.  I think stressing the
outcome may be helpful.  Saying he or she is allergic to milk,
doesn't really drive it home to some people.  Describing in
detail, however, what the reaction will be if they have "just a
little"  may shake them up.   Maybe tell them that you, as a mother,
cannot stand to give them something that will cause them suffering.
Then ask them why they would.

This may sound a little harsh, but the next time you catch MIL giving
your child something he or she isn't allowed to have, tell her if it
happens again, you won't be bringing that beloved grandchild to her
house again.  She can visit you, where she is supervised.

Another thought...what do the fathers, the sons of these women, do
when MIL acts up?  We need some men with backbone to stand up against
Mother.  (Of course she may then say you put him up to it....)

Sorry if this sounds angry, but reading your letters, and picturing
if my precious daughter were in that situation, makes my blood boil.
I am fortunate to have very understanding parents and inlaws, (so
far, so good, she's only 10 months old) and am at this moment
wondering if there is anything more stubborn than MILs.........

Prayers for all of you suffering from MIL syndrome!!
Melissa