NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Leslie Elsner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:17:41 -0500
There are two cheeses that I would recommend for those who are on restricted
diets:
1. Rice Slice- which is lactose free, and soy free (also upon inquiry, I was
told this item is gluten free) but it DOES contain Casein. It only has 2gm
fat per slice and one slice contains 20% of your recommended daily calcium. I
have found this product in most local health food stores. It comes in a few
varieties- american, white and orange, etc. Also they make a rice based, soy
free, lactose free shake bottle of parmesan cheese. Works great to sprinkle
on gf pasta.
for more info, write to: SOYCO FOODS 2441 Viscount Row, Orlando Fla. 32809

2. My cheese of choice these days: Lactose Free cheese slices by Smart Beat-
non dairy, cholesterol free, fat free, 15% daily rec. of calcium per slice
and only 25 calories per slice- not bad- I prefer the sharp cheddar version
as it has the most flavor and melts fairly well on my gf english muffins from
Foods by George.
I have found this product in the cheese section of my local supermarket.
Also, one of the main celiac groups have gone over the ingredients very
carefully with the manufacturer and have agreed that it can indeed be
considered gluten free.

I don't know how well this would work in trying to make macaroni and cheese-
but for the old favortie grill cheese sandwhich, I would recommend it highly.
Heart Beat Foods/Div. GFA Brands Inc. Cresskill, NJ 07626-0397

Best Regards,
Leslie-NYC