From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

President's Corner:  I hope all of you are having a great summer.
Like many of you, I've been really busy.  I find I talk to a lot of
people who think it's okay to eat gluten occasionally.  I can't stress
enough how dangerous this is.  It brings to mind a story I thought I
would share with you:

There was a man named Joe, who lived a good life, believed in God, and
regularly attended church services.  One day, floods were predicted
for the area where he lived.  The police came and told him he had to
leave.  Joe refused to go, saying, "God will save me."  The rains got
heavier.  A boat came around and told Joe he had to leave.  Joe
refused, giving the same reply.  A few hours later, with the house
nearly covered with water and Joe on the roof, a helicopter came to
rescue him.  Again, Joe refused to leave, insisting that God would
save him.  Well, Joe drowned.  He got to Heaven, and proceeded to yell
at God, saying, "Why didn't you save me?"  God replied, "But Joe, I
tried to save you.  I sent the police, then a boat, and then a
helicopter."

I think there is a lesson in this story for all of us.  God has sent
us our support groups, our gluten-free food companies, and our health
food stores.  Please don't be tempted to eat gluten; if you are,
remember this story.  Use your shopping guide.  Call other people in
the group if you feel tempted.  We care.--Mary Guerriero

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Celiac Research Update:  In our May 1997 newsletter we told you of a
new study being conducted to determine the prevalence of celiac
disease (CD) in the USA.  The University of Maryland School of
Medicine (UMSOM) established the Center for Celiac Research (CfCR) to
conduct this study, with Drs.  Alessio Fasano and Karoly Horvath as
medical directors.  At that time we asked for your financial support
for this important work.  At this time we'd like to give you an update
on both the study and the fund-raising for it:

Study progress:  In October 1997, the initial phase of the study was
   implemented with a blood screening of first-degree relatives in
   Westchester, New York.  Screenings have also been done in Baltimore
   and Pittsburgh.  Other screenings are planned over the next few
   months in cities across the country.  A "How-To" guideline will
   soon be available for groups of all sizes who want to set up a
   blood screening in their local areas.  When it is available a
   message will be posted on the CELIAC listserv on the internet.

Fund-raising progress:  In the first year, approximately 500 donors
   contributed and/or pledged $150,000.  From $10 individual
   contributions to the $50,0000 donation from the Oberkotter
   Foundation, all donations are important.  Support groups around the
   country held fund-raisers.  We can be very proud to be part of this
   grassroots fund-raising effort.  But much more money is needed for
   the regional centers in the study to become fully operational.  The
   National Institute of Health held a meeting in March to discuss
   assisting in the funding, and other sources of funding were
   discussed.  However, the CfCR continues to call upon us, the celiac
   community, to do whatever we can to help them finish the study.  If
   you have any questions or suggestions, contact Pam King, Director
   of External Affairs, 410-706-2715, [log in to unmask]; or
   contact CfCR volunteer Bob Levy, [log in to unmask]  Donations or
   pledges should be made payable to the UM Foundation, Inc.  Center
   for Celiac Research and mailed to Attent ion:  Pamela King,
   Director of External Affairs, University of Maryland School of
   Medicine, 700 West Lombard Street, 2nd floor, Baltimore, MD 21201.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Boston Market Update:  In the last issue of _The Sprue-nik Press_, we
listed an incorrect phone number for Boston Market.  The correct
number is 1-800-365-7000.  We are sorry for this error.

We also listed some GF products available at Boston Market.  We are
happy now to add some more items to the list, courtesy of TCCSSG
member Sara Brooks.  The list of GF products at Boston Market now
includes all of the following:

   apples with cinnamon
   baked beans
   butternut squash
   corn
   cranberry relish
   creamed spinach
   fruit salad
   jumpin' juice squares
   mashed potatoes
   new potatoes w/dill sauce
   rotisserie chicken
   rotisserie turkey
   steamed vegetables
   zucchini marinara

However, one must be cautious when eating there.  Sara warns us, "...I
was mortified to see dough crusted meat pies prominently displayed in
the middle of the food trays.  I was most concerned with the flakes of
the crust falling into the bins of foods we could eat.  Also, the
pasta trays were near items we could eat.  My worry was the pasta
could accidentally fall into the trays, and someone would simply spoon
it out, leaving the food contaminated.  We would be none the wiser.  I
also wondered about the gravy accidentally dripping into the
surrounding pans....What bothers me is they say all this food is GF,
but do nothing to insure it's purity for us."

So exercise caution and good judgment when eating at Boston Market.
Look the food pans over carefully.  Don't be afraid to ask to be
served from fresh containers of foods, to minimize the risk of
contamination.

Our thanks go to Sara, both for the additional GF items, and for the
well-stated warning.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Tips from Regina Kukielka:

  *  Rice flour can be purchased from three different sources:
     oriental stores (sweet rice or glutinous rice flour), US health
     food and mail order companies, and Indian stores (much cheaper
     than US rice flour sources).  Each source seems to require a
     different amount of liquid for the best results.  Oriental flours
     require the least and Indian flours the most liquid.  (Most
     recipes do not indicate which kind of rice flour to use.)

  *  If yeast bread has a hole in it, it needs more liquid.

  *  Batter made using baking powder should be about the same
     consistency as wheat flour batter.  (Note:  Be sure to
     occasionally check the expiration date on the baking powder tin.)
     If raisins, nuts, etc.  sink to the bottom during the baking, use
     a little less liquid the next time.

  *  I notice that some mixes and recipes come from health food people
     who try to keep the fat and cholesterol down.  I add an extra egg
     and butter (or oil) to increase the liquid and improve the taste
     and texture.  (I watch my fat and cholesterol by eating plenty of
     fresh fruits, vegetables and fish, and not much meat.  But when I
     want goodies, I want GOOD goodies.)

  *  I've had good luck substituting rice flour for wheat flour in old
     recipes.  At first I added xanthan gum to create the same
     consistency as wheat flour.  But xanthan gum is so expensive I
     tried baking without it.  I found that by increasing the rice
     flour and not using xanthan gum at all, the results were the same
     for recipes with baking powder or baking soda.  However, for
     yeast dough you still need the xanthan gum.  As an example, I
     made the Toll House chocolate chip cookies with 2 tsp.  xanthan
     gum.  Then I tried omitting the xanthan gum and adding more
     flour, and it worked great.