From:
John Rittelmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 13:55:08 -0400

Are colitis and diverticulisits somehow related to Celiac?

I want to check all of my relatives about stomach problems in my effort to
distinguish whether I have celiac or something similar but not celiac.

I asked my mother if anyone in her family had "stomach troubles", and she
said they ALL did--but none of it was "celiac" type of trouble.  (She added
that EVERYONE she knows (family AND friends) has stomach problems of one
kind or another.  I thought that was strange because I NEVER had stomach
problems AT ALL until I turned 40.....) Specifically, she said her Dad had
colitis and her Mom had diverticulitis, and her sister has a stomach that's
sensitive to stress and "tension".  Obviously this woman (Mom) has been
surrounded by people with tummy troubles---does the whole world have tummy
troubles?  If so, it's new to me.

What I'm wondering is, are these various stomach diagnoses (colitis, divert,
IBS, etc.) made simply because the patient feels the need for a diagnosis of
some kind--yet the Doc doesn't really KNOW--so Doc just gives the patient's
symptoms a name that's "close enough" to what it seems to be and that celiac
could be overlooked?

Or, do perhaps colitis and diverticulitis have nothing to do with celiac.

********I am self-diagnosed celiac--all my IG tests are normal, no biopsy
done since been GF for 6 months already.  Feel stupenous GF.  My concern is
to weed out whether I really have celeiac (as opposed to some separate
Gluten "sensitivity") BECAUSE I WANT MY KIDS to know if they need to be
aware/alert to Gluten or not (we don't want to make our kids GF, or
food-neurotic about what they eat if it's not necesary.)

Thanks a BUNCH.