From:
Kinnikinnick Foods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 11:04:51 -0600

>It appears that the manufacturers in Canada are not required to distinguish
>the use of iodized salt as opposed to plain salt.
>
>Can someone in Canada please verify this with the proper authority?

Here is the only citation from Agriculture Canada's web site dealing with
iodized vs noniodized salt

"Sea Salt Labelling

Question: Is sea salt, which has not been iodized, a permitted ingredient
of a food?

Answer: Yes, sea salt, which has not been iodized, is permitted as an
ingredient of a food. Section B.17.003 of the Food and Drug Regulations
requires only salt for table or general household use to be iodized.
Consequently, when salt is sold for table or general household use, it must
be iodized.

Sea salt (note the singular "salt") does not have to meet the standard for
salt in section B.17.001 of the Food and Drug Regulations. Also, sea salt
must have come from the sea rather than from a mine.

The words "sea Salts" are acceptable for listing in the ingredient list. A
complete component listing is necessary, since it is not exempt under
Section B.01.009 of the Food and Drug Regulations. (08/MR/91)"

The only other Canadian regulations involving salt labelling requirements
can be found at:

http://www.cfia-acia.agr.ca/english/food/label/6-2-5.html#6-2-5>

We, at Kinnikinnick Foods are committed to providing safe sources of food
to our customers and are concerned when questions such as this come up.
Frankly, this is the first time that anyone has expressed concerns to us
about iodized salt. If this is a issue for our customers (ie. we have some
demand for un-iodized salt) we would certainly consider adding iodine free
products to our line.

I hope this post goes some way to clarifying the question. It does do one
thing, in that it shows the importance of asking manufacturers questions
about ingredients and processes. We vigorously encourage everyone with food
intolerances and allergies to ask those questions just as Bill has.

Jay Bigam
Webmaster/Marketing Manager
Kinnikinnick Foods Inc.

www.kinnikinnick.com