From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 06:44:33 -0700

I'd like to share an article from Gluten Free Living with those who do
not receive the newsletter.

In GFL's July-August edition, the editor Ann Whelan reports on her
readers' responses to a previous editorial about the need to unite the
various celiac groups in the U.S.  The results, in summary:
"GLF readers are in total agreement on the critical need for
unification.  Supporting research, educating doctors and supporting
patients should be top priorities, according to the survey.  Working for
beter labeling laws came in a close fourth followed by educate the
public and inform food processors about our needs."

Ann goes on to express her view as to how frustrating it was as a newly
diagnosed celiac and later as editor/publisher of her newsletter to cope
with the disconcerting existence of 3 groups,  (I think there are more
than 3!)  and to sort out different directives and duplicated efforts.
She talks about how money is wasted and the membership so divided that
none of the groups has deep pockets.  For example, each year at the
Digestive Disease conference, two celiac groups dispense the same
information to gastroenterologists from booths that are always close
together!  She talks about duplication of effort in terms of patient
support, the conflicting information as to food issues, education,
little money for research, etc.

The essence: We need one, large, more powerful voice, to go after
research dollars, to educate and support celiacs as well as the public
and food manufacturers.

Ann states that "there is no support anywhere for continued division
within the celiac community..."  She is going to contact the leaders of
the various groups and will host a meeting to set a preliminary agenda
and goals for a united front.  She would like your input.  I don't have
an E-mail address for her, but if you will give me input, I will pass on
your opinions to her.

I have absolutely no financial interest in this publication; rather I am
a grateful subscriber.  Subscription info:  Gluten Free Living, PO Box
105, Hastings-on-Hudson NY 10706.  No phone # listed.  $29 for one year,
$49 for 2 years.

The same issue also has a fabulous summation on the recent Annual
European Celiac Conference held in Finland.

Diane Holmes, Seattle USA