Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 13:24:34 -0400
From:
Laura Dolson <[log in to unmask]>

So many kind people are sending me ideas for alternative egg replacers that I
realize I wasn't clear enough in my first message.

I don't have a problem with eggs at all.  My questions are specifically about
Ener-G egg replacer, which is often in GF recipes, sometimes IN ADDITION to
eggs, which leads me to believe that it does something *different* from eggs.
Even the ones where egg replacer is in there without eggs, it doesn't say "egg
replacer OR eggs" just "egg replacer".  So, my clarified and refined questions
are:

1) What does this stuff do?  And since the main ingredients are "potato
starch, tapioca flour, and carbohydrate gum", how does it accomplish whatever
it does?

2) If it is really just an "egg replacer", can I just substitute....*eggs* for
it?  And if so, do I need to adjust the liquid in that case?  And what if the
liquid is milk?  OR if I keep doing what I'm doing now and just use powdered
egg whites, will that produce a similar result (I just got an email that
provides evidence that the answer to this question is "yes".)   Also, if it's
just a substitute for eggs, why does it appear in recipes in addition to eggs?

3) The applesauce thing was just something I pulled out of the air as to the
experimental nature of the question I was asking.  I have no issues with
applesauce or plans to substitue it for eggs.  I could have said <blah>, or X
instead of applesauce.  What I was asking was whether people have done
comparisons.  What I was trying to get away from was the answer "I have used X
as an egg replacer for years with good results", because my question is not
"does X produce acceptable results" but "what is the textural difference in
using X vs Y, where Y could be eggs or egg replacer".

If there is anyone reading this that hasn't thrown up there hands by this time
in despair at the convoluted nature of my questions, I thank you for at least
attempting to understand what I'm talking about, even if you don't have any
answers!  ;-)

Laura