Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:53:14 -0600

Hello to All List Members:

It is finally here!  My apology for not been able to post this recipe for
the people that requested (my way of making Polenta) at the Celiac's chat
two weeks ago.

This is the basic recipe (since I have multi food intolerance) I do leave
out the cheese and use margarine instead of the butter.   It is very easy to
make and you can put in almost anything you like, the variations are
endless........

POLENTA (CONRMEAL)

2 cups coarsely ground cornmeal
8 cups water
1 tbs.. salt (I omit the salt since the cheese is at time salty)
1 handful of Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese (this cheese give a better taste
than the others)
1 Tbs.. butter/margarine

In a large heavy saucepan bring water to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low and add salt. (Important not to add salt before
the water boils).
Very slowly add the cornmeal at this point I lower the heat temperature (I
usually put it into a sieve so I can control the amount that goes in, this
way you can prevent the lumps from forming) stir constantly with a long
large wooden spoon.  After all the cornmeal has been added cook for about
40-50 mins.
As it is cooking the Polenta will thicken and it will bubble.  Keep stirring
and crush or discard any lumps that may form.
When cooked add the butter and cheese.  (At this point you can add almost
anything you like, you may omit the cheese.  My family likes to have tomato
sauce or pesto sauce added at this point).
Once Polenta starts coming off the sides of the pan then it is cooked.
To serve soft place Polenta in a casserole dish, top with your favorite
sauce e.g.:  tomato, meat, cheese or pasta sauce.
To serve with a firmer consistency place Polenta in a flat casserole dish
and let it set for a few minutes (it will be easier to cut), cut into slices
or squares.  The slices can be grilled, fried or baked and topped with your
choice of sauce and cheese.

Wen I make my Polenta, I usually make enough to have half recipe soft and
half a firmer consistency, this way you a multi choice of recipes you can
have on hand e.g.:

* grill a not too thin slice and you can use it as bread during a meal.
* cut a thin slice and top it off with tomato sauce and cheese and you have
a pizza slice.

Hope you all will like this very delicious dish as much as my family and I
do.

Clelia