VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 04:38:38 -0400
Hello all.

I'd like to get some feedback from this group about an idea I
have.

I've been contemplating the possibility of just plunging in and
getting a job. Instead of getting bogged down by thinking about
all the things I don't know about computers and how difficult it
may be to integrate my special needs into a company's systems,
I'm thinking about just showing up and letting them take the
lead.

My inspiration is that I heard an employer on the news say that
his company hires for attitude, and trains for skills. It seems
that the message is that particular skills are always changing
and the most important factor for success is an applicants desire
to do the job right.

I figured that I could approach the human resource department of
a large company like Sony, and tell them frankly that I have this
nuisance of blindness, but I'm ready and willing to work with
them to discover how to make it irrelevant in the work place.

Perhaps they are open to or looking to hire a blind or otherwise
disabled person. Perhaps they already have hired a blind person
who has proven his competence, and who can give me some guidance
as to what I need to do in order to blend in.

I feel that if I don't plunge in, I may be holding myself back by
exaggerating the obstacles, and miss out on the opportunity to
find out exactly how prepared I actually am.

Does anybody on this list know of somebody who did what I have
been contemplating? Does anybody have some constructive advice or
encouragement for me?

I will greatly appreciate your responses. Thank you in advance.

Peter Seymour