From:
Tim Lider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 10:19:56 -0700
Hello Alvin B Johnson, at 04:52 PM 7/11/98 -0700 you wrote:

>486-DX-66 with Maxtor Hardrive
>When I turn computer on it goes through the post and hangs. Sometimes it
>say can"t acess Hard drive and at other times its say its a controller
>problem. When I boot and it hangs because of the "Can't acesss hard
>drive" I can use a boot disk and go to the A-prompt. when I try to acess
>C it say "Bad Command"

>I have reseated the cables and the I/o controller card. I also went into
>setup and automatically found the hard drive and acepted its findings
>into CMOS. I plan to try new cables. What else can I do to try and acess
>the harddrive?

Al:

  This could many things. You are doing what one should do in your
situation. You have very good troubleshooting skills.

  This is what I think is wrong with the hard drive in your computer. I
think the hard drive is messed up physically or electrically. In most hard
drives if it passes the CMOS check and not Post, then there is usually
something wrong with one or more of the servos on the hard drive. Keep in
mind it also could be the PCBA. If it is one of the servos, your out of
luck. If it is the PCBA, you will need to get one like the one you have and
give it a try, if it does not work your out of luck.

  If you need the data on the hard drive. There are many companies out
there that do data recovery. They may or may not be able to retrieve the
data for you. Of course this route cost money, sometimes a lot of money.

Good luck,

Tim Lider
Advanced Data Solutions              ICQ: 7562541
Web Site: http://www.adv-data.com E-Mail: Mailto:[log in to unmask]